Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Modesty is more than just your clothes

When a sister in Christ is talking about Modesty,it goes much deeper than clothing. Yes that is a big part of being modest and as a Christian woman you should be dressing modestly. It's our responsibility as sisters in Christ to dress and look and (here's the kicker) behave modestly to help our brothers in Christ from having impure thoughts and/or behaviors. I know that there are times when there's nothing you can do men will do these things and they will have to answer for it,but it's our personal responsibility to ensure that we are not putting them on that path by how we look or behave. 1Corinthians 8:12-13- 12:When you sin against the brethern and wound their weak consience,you sin against Christ 13: Therefore,if food makes my brother to stumble,I will never again eat meat,lest I make my brother stumble. Knowing that what you are wearing or doing is causing a brother in Christ to stumble you are sinning against Christ.


Proverbs 31:26-27: 26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom:and in her tongue is the law of kindness. 27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.


The Lord starting working on me with the way that I dress about a year ago. Being raised Pentecostal,dressing modestly and keeping my hair long for covering wasn't new to me. 1 Corinthians 11:15 But if a woman have long hair,it's a glory to her:for her hair is giving her for a covering. But I backslid and for years lived my life in the world. When I came back to the Lord and asked for forgiveness I was still dressing and acting as I always did minus the language and other nasty attributes.


It wasn't until about a year ago I started feeling the calling to re evaluate how I dress. The Lord told me that I was to be an example to others. Once I decided to make the change from jeans to dress,I did it fairly easily. I was dresses only for about 3 months and then slid back into my jeans. I felt a guilt that I have never felt in my life. I was ashamed and felt like a hypocrite.


Deuteronomy 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man,neither shall a man put on a woman's garment,for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.


Now I'm back on track after alot of prayer,bible study and talking with my husband. My heart is at peace once again and I know I'm on the path that Lord set before me. Once I got my outer appearance modest then the Lord started working on my behavior.


1Timothy 2:9-10: 9 In like manner also,that women adorn themselves in Modest apparel,with shamefacedness and sobriety,not with broided hair or gold or pearls or costly array. 10But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.


I have always been an out spoken women that wouldn't back down from anyone or anything and that is a very ungodly way for a Christian woman to act. The Lord started pulling me back saying meek,discreet. I got my bible out and began to study just how I'm suppose to behave. See I have always been a handful ,even being the Pastor's daughter,I rebelled horribly. After much time with my husband,the Lord and my bible I now get it.


Titus 2:3-5: 3The aged woman,that they be in behavior as becometh holiness,not false accusers,not given to much wine,teachers of good things. 4 That they may teach the younger women to be sober,to love their husbands,to love their children. 5 To be discreet,chaste,keepers at home,good obedient to their own husbands,that the word of God be not blashpemed.


I now know that my actions as well as my dress is the example to others. They will first look upon my outer appearance and then my actions. I can witness to others even if I never really speak to them. That's a wonderful thing sisters to be a witness for Jesus Christ,through dress,behavior and words.

Tammy
Happy Homemaking

1 comment:

Doug Joseph said...

Great post! Wow! As a man, and as a pastor, I want to say that this is an excellent article.