Thursday, April 29, 2010

Menu making made simple

Have you ever sat down to make your menu and just couldn't get it all together to finish it up. You start out ok and then before you know you have no idea what to put down to finish it up. That's how it has been for me and it's very frustrating,especially when you have a million other things to do like laundry,schooling,reading aloud to your children,believe me I have been there done that. There's nothing more frustrating to me then to sit down to a task that should take only a short amount of time to complete and it lingers on and on because I am stumped. Oh how I hate that!

One day I came up with the idea that has saved me loads of time when it comes to making my menu(s). I got out a notebook and started writing down meal ideas. But then I went more detailed,I labeled one page chicken,the other beef,then pork,and so on. I started 1. and put a complete meal idea in that slot. For example looking over at my page right now for pork in slot number one is

1. grilled seasoned pork chops,loaded bake potatoes and corn on the cob.
2.creamy pork chops,mash potatoes,green beans.

and so on and so on. When I find a new recipe my family enjoys I simply add it to the designated page.

When it comes time for me to make my menu,I take out my pages of meal ideas with me (this would fit nicely in the household notebook) and use that as a guide for ideas. I can't tell you how much time and frustration this has taken off my shoulders and I can also use this as a way to not forget a meal that my family really enjoyed but that I hadn't made in a while. Yes I'm forgetful at times! LOL By investing a little time on these pages it has saved me so much time now. They are evolving lists what works stays and what doesn't goes. I love it and I hope if you decide to try it you love it as much as I do.

The Happy Homemaker

No comments: